Thorpe Bay Vets Help Curious Logan After Eating Face Mask

When Logan, a five-year-old golden retriever, ate a face mask on a walk with his owner, he was rushed into Medivet Thorpe Bay Shoebury Rd to remove it.

Logan, a very happy and curious fella, came across a discarded face mask on the floor during his walk, which he decided looked very yummy and he ate it. Logan’s owner called Medivet Thorpe Bay Shoebury Rd immediately, understandably in a panic, and they were advised to get to the practice very quickly.

When Logan arrived at the practice, the team induced emesis for him to vomit up the face mask, which thankfully he did. When our pets eat things that they shouldn’t, there is a short window (usually between 4-6 hours) in which we need to induce emesis before it will no longer be effective, and in some cases will mean invasive surgery is needed.

We’re pleased to say Logan has made a full recovery and is back to his happy self. Logan’s owner wanted to increase awareness about this, especially as sadly it’s becoming increasingly common that face masks are irresponsibly littered. In order to stop any future ordeals, Logan’s owner will now be using a muzzle on walks to stop Logan’s curiosity getting the better of him, and we must say he still looks rather dashing when wearing it.

We’re so happy you’ve made a full recovery Logan.

If you ever suspect that your pet may have eaten something they shouldn’t have, please don’t hesitate to call your local Medivet practice and they can give prompt and efficient advice on what you should do.

Speak to your vet to book an appointment

Find your nearest practice

Find your nearest practice


Our Pet Care Advice

At Medivet, we’re committed to providing trustworthy, expert advice that helps you care for your pet. Don't miss our latest advice for keeping your pets happy and healthy.


Search advice